Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Kate Spade Inspired Bridal Shower

It's Bridal Shower season so I thought I would share some tips from a bridal shower I threw for a friend, last year.


First off with everything I do I like to be very frugal or budget oriented. My biggest tip for being conservative and still pulling off a beautiful event is to PLAN AHEAD!! This is going to be the most helpful tip and will help you stick to your budget. If you have a clear idea of what you want your  party theme to be, then when you are out doing your regular shopping and you happen to see something that will fit into your party theme, at a reasonable price, you can collect your supplies over time. I normally plan, at least, 3 months ahead.

Another tip I like to follow, is recycle and repurpose as much as you can. Personally, I love to give items a new life, and most of the time those items are free (bottles to use as vases, painted tin cans as pen holders, repainted old picture frames, etc). Talk about budget friendly! If you see something someone is going to throw out, check to see if they're willing to give it to you.

Once I determined my idea for the shower, I started collaborating my ideas. I was into black and white stripes and the Bride was into gold metallics and a classic color, that really complimented the two ideas, was hot pink. Playing off of the color scheme I wanted it to have a Kate Spade vibe. I just loved the clean lines and floral accents of that style. Then off I went "hoarding," as my husband would say, my party supplies!

The table settings were the most important design element, because I interpreted a "Kate Spade vibe" as an elegant girly style, I wanted to do a semi-formal plate setting. To achieve that looks for less I used black plastic table clothes, from the dollar store, and layered plastic and paper plates. The metallic tones and color contrast of black and white gave it that clean, classy look. I tied the setting off with a hot pink paper napkin that was taped in the center to look like a bow. -I LOVE THIS LOOK!

To create my center pieces I used black and white striped gift wrap paper, I found at a craft store for a dollar, as my runners. I taped it to the table cloth to keep it in place. To add some color to the table, I cut up hot pink tissue paper to resemble petals. The arrangements were made by using recycled old bottles I found from an old barn. (sounds crazy but you never know where you will find interesting design elements.) All I had to do was clean up the old bottles and give them a coat of spray paint and added some pink flowers I got from the dollar store.

My favors were super easy to do and were, currently, on trend. I printed the quote "tying the knot" along with the Brides name and shower date onto card stock paper. I then tied decorative elastic ribbon that was cut to size to the paper cutout. For just a few cents a piece, I had some adorable hair ties for each guest to take home.
To set up a photo booth I painted a sign using the couple's wedding hashtag onto black foam poster board. We added some fun photo props and created a colorful backdrop using plastic table clothes.  The backdrop is one of my favorite tricks that I've used a few times. All you need to do, to get this striping effect, is to layers 3 plastic table clothes onto of each other. You could use different colors or all the same if you choice. Then, cut the table clothes into 1 1/2 inch strips leaving about 6 inches at the top so it stays together. You then braid 3 strips, starting from the uncut end, about 8 inches down to create the color striping effect.

The "sign in" and buffet tables were decorated to coordinate with the theme. Hot pink, black, white, and gold glitter accents with random knick knacks, I collected during the "hoarding stage," helped to add interest and tied the look together. I also made the cake which was a simple boxed chocolate mix with a cookies and cream filling. It may not be the most creative cake but it went well with the theme and by doing it myself, I saved money. The bottom layer was decorated with white buttercream icing and black fondant stripes along the side. The top layer was decorated with gold buttercream icing trimmed with a black ribbon and topped with a cute banner I designed by just using word from my computer.


Just by spending some thought and some extra time into putting all these final touches together, I was able to create a beautiful memory, with the help of some others, for a friend and even did it within a tight budget. I hope this party idea inspires you to do the same at your next event.

XOXO



No comments:

Post a Comment